Mead Johnson Nutrition and Bristol-Myers Squibb both operate life science research and development and manufacturing locations in southwest Indiana.
- Evansville, Indiana, is home to one of three Mead Johnson Pediatric Nutrition Institute locations in the world. The MJPNI facility includes a manufacturing area to test processes during product development.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb has pharmaceutical manufacturing and R&D operations in Mt. Vernon, Indiana.
Area universities offer degree programs in related fields:
- The University of Southern Indiana College of Nursing and Health Professions offers bachelors, masters, and doctoral programs in nursing.
- IU School of Medicine – Evansville offers summer undergraduate research and bachelors and medical doctor programs in conjunction with the University of Southern Indiana.
- University of Evansville offers graduate and post-graduate degrees in health services administration.
- Vincennes University’s College of Health Sciences and Human Performance has associates degree programs in nearly a dozen areas.
- The Ivy Tech School of Health Sciences offers a number of study programs.
Business Facilities magazine ranked the state of Indiana #10 in the U.S. in its 2012 list of Biotechnology Strength Employment Leaders. Other ways the southwest Indiana region supports the health and life sciences industry include:
- The Warrick Wellness Trail, a 1,400-acre planned medical district for service providers and light manufacturing
- Several major hospitals
The Indiana Health Industry Forum also actively supports the growth of the health and life sciences sector in the state.
Download Health and Life Science Case Study – Mead Johnson Nutrition (PDF)
Download Health and Life Sciences Overview
Health and Life Sciences Companies in the Region
|Company||Products||Number of Employees|
|Bristol-Myers Squibb||Pharmaceutical manufacturing; research and development||300|
|Clondalkin Pharma & Healthcare||Paperboard printing for pharmaceutical products||224|
|Covance||Contract research for drug development and animal testing||100|
|Deaconess Health Systems||Medical services||5,300|
|Gibson County General||Medical services||260|
|Mead Johnson Pediatric Nutrition Institute||Research and development||950|
|St. Mary’s Health System||Medical services||3,800|