Advanced manufacturing technology is integral to many southwest Indiana companies. The region has a long history in high-tech manufacturing, including automotive products, plastics, metals, chemicals, and packaging of food products.
- SABIC Innovative Plastics makes engineered thermoplastics materials. (See more plastics manufacturers in the region.)
- Alcoa Warrick Operations is one of the world’s largest aluminum smelting and fabrication operations.
- The Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana plant builds SUVs and minivans. (See more automotive manufacturing companies in southwest Indiana.)
- Ameriqual specializes in food packaging using advanced manufacturing techniques.
Business Facilities magazine rated Indiana’s business climate 6th best in the U.S. in 2012. The state ranks 8th in the country for automotive manufacturing strength.
Southwest Indiana advanced manufacturing businesses also benefit from their optional participation in the Tri-State Manufacturers Alliance.
Several area universities offer programs in related fields of study:
- University of Evansville College of Engineering and Computer Science offers degrees in mechanical and electrical engineering.
- The University of Southern Indiana Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education offers degrees in chemistry and engineering.
- Ivy Tech offers a degree in engineering technology.
- ITT Technical Institute has degree programs in electrical and industrial engineering.
- Vincennes University for Advanced Manufacturing and Logistics has degree programs in advanced manufacturing and logistics as well as general education.
Advanced Manufacturing Companies in the Region
|Company||Products||Number of Employees|
|AK Steel||Flat-rolled steel||110|
|Alcoa Warrick Operations||Aluminum manufacturing||2,000|
|AmeriQual Foods||Meals, ready-to-eat||900|
|Anchor Industries||Tents, canopies, and canvas accessories||307|
|Berry Plastics||Injection-molded plastics||2,235|
|Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.||Pharmaceutical Manufacturing||300|
|DSM Engineering||Reinforced plastic compounds||210|
|Evana Tool & Engineering||Conveyor and Instrument Manufacturing||346|
|Evansville Courier & Press||Newspaper||300|
|Guardian Automotive Trim, Inc.||Automotive Injection-molding||510|
|Hansen Manufacturing||Timing motors, clock movements||425|
|Indiana Tube Corporation||Steel tubing||251|
|Koch Enterprises||Industrial and auto parts manufacturing||2,119|
|Lewis Bakeries||Bread and buns||350|
|Mead Johnson Nutrition||Pediatric nutrition||950|
|Mid-States Rubber||Rubber products||340|
|PGW Pittsburgh Glass, LLC||Automotive glass||595|
|Red Spot Paint and Varnish||Coatings for automotive plastics||345|
|Rio Tinto||Aluminum smelting: billet, small-form foundry, t-foundry, and remelt operations||500|
|SABIC||Engineered thermoplastics materials||1,200|
|Silgan Containers||Caps and closures for bottles||235|
|SRG Global||Color & Chrome Plastics Manufacturing||650|
|Toyota Boshoku of America||Automotive seating||850|
|Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indiana||SUVs and vans||4,100|
|Vuteq Corporation||Automotive Interior parts||450|
|Whirlpool Corporation||Engineering laboratory||300|